Elective surgery waiting list in NSW blows out to more than 100,000 patients


The waiting list for elective surgery in NSW has blown out to more than 100,000 patients amid the coronavirus pandemic, with surgeons calling for operations to continue through the Christmas break to clear the backlog.Key points:NSW Health is not considering cancelling the Christmas shutdown yetHospitals in NSW suspended elective surgeries in March because of coronavirusEmergency department visits fell by 18 per cent in the June quarterThe NSW Bureau of Health Information’s quarterly report showed 23,305 fewer elective surgeries were performed between April and June when compared with the same quarter last year — a fall of 40 per cent.NSW hospitals suspended all non-urgent elective surgery on March 25 to free up resources to manage a predicted spike in patients with coronavirus.That caused 16,895 patients to be added to the waiting list.This 20 per cent increase over the second quarter last year was the largest jump in at least a decade.In Victoria, the number of patients on the waiting list ballooned by 40 per cent over the same time period, though at 56,000, it is lower than NSW.Non-urgent operations started incrementally on April 27 and NSW hospitals have been performing surgery at normal levels since July 1. Ear, nose and throat surgeon, Payal Mukherjee, chair of the NSW branch of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, said surgeons were now operating at more than 100 per cent capacity to clear the backlog.”We don’t want routine theatre to be closed down during the holidays,” she said.For the latest news on the coronavirus pandemic read our live blog.”We think we should keep going, especially in country towns where staff numbers are low and the backlog is worse.”A spokesperson for NSW Health said cancelling the holiday shutdown was not being considered at this stage.The NSW Government has invested an additional $800 million over two years to boost ICU capacity, medical services and equipment.Read more about coronavirus:The number of patients waiting longer than the clinically recommended time for their operation was 10,563, though most were in the semi-urgent or non-urgent categories.More than 99 per cent of urgent surgery was done on time.Semi-urgent patients, like those being treated for hernias or cataracts, should be admitted within three months.Non-urgent patients should be admitted within one year and include those needing hip and knee replacements. Andrew White, head of ophthalmology at Westmead Hospital said about 50 per cent of their cataract surgeries were being outsourced to the private system.NSW Health has committed $388 million to fast-track elective surgery, which includes sending patients to private hospitals for treatment.The quarterly report also showed emergency department visits fell by 18 per cent in the June quarter, and ambulance responses by 13 per cent.What you need to know about coronavirus:

Source link

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *